I’m super busy with conference preparation (INSPIRE Conference & Awards) but I couldn’t let my FIVE years as the Biz Girls business owner go without making a little bit of a song and dance about it! Today the 20th February marks the 5th birthday.
I’ve achieved so much in five years. I am proud of myself. I am a one-woman band. You will definitely be hearing about some new plans I have as they unfold but for now I want to focus on five things I love about my business. At the end of 2018 I wrote about the six things I learnt last year. I want to focus on the things I love and the things that drive me forward, even when the going gets tough.
- EVERY POUND I EARN EXISTS BECAUSE I EARNED IT: I don’t want this to sound ‘braggy’. I really don’t earn a penny unless my members say I do, so ultimately it’s up to them. But every time I get paid something from somebody, I know that every pound is a reflection of the effort I have put in over the last five years to grow my business and give something to my members. It hasn’t been easy. There have been highs and lows. There have been many times, I have wanted to give up and nearly did. I didn’t. There have been times when I have been all out of ideas. There has been criticism in bucket loads. There have been things that haven’t worked. There have been some pretty massive mistakes. I know that what I do makes a difference. I believe in it. I am passionate about it. Despite those lows, I have kept on going. I have been persistent, resilient and consistent. It has paid off. There will be many more things that go wrong. Many more changes. I always go with my gut. If it doesn’t feel right, I have learnt it’s usually not right. It feels good to know that every pound I earn is because i worked hard for it. I did it for myself.
- I SET MY OWN SCHEDULE: Setting my own schedule is one of the biggest benefits to owning a business. I am a wife. I am a mum to two spirited girls. I am a mum to a complex son with Autism and mental health issues. I run a business. I am a cook, chauffeur, cleaner, dog walker, house organizer and so the list goes on and on. If I need to work late, I do. If I have to start early to fit something else in, I do. If I want to take the day off, I do. If one of my kids is sick, that’s just the way it is. If I want to take the school holidays off, I do. In fact, there is no ‘late or early’. There is no worrying about pleasing anybody else. I am the only one that matters. If I need some fresh air, I go for a walk. If I need a break, I take all the time I need. Making it work for me and my family makes a huge difference.
- IT’S MY BUSINESS AND NO-ONE ELSE’S: I can tweak and adjust my business anyway I want to. This is crucial and I’ve learnt it is part of the process and evolution of every business. I’ve found that I need to test, pivot, test, pivot, change, tweak…….until I get things right. Things change all the time. Because it’s my business, I can make those decisions. I might not make the right decisions sometimes and I might not please everybody in the process, but at least it’s on my shoulders and nobody else’s. When I get it right, the feeling is amazing.
- CONNECTION: I have connected with so many amazing people AND as a direct result of the biz girls community, so many women have connected with each other. I have lost count of the amazing collaborations that have been formed, the amount of revenue achieved and quite simply the number of women whose confidence has soared. Being at the helm of a large community of women isn’t always easy. I have learnt the power of connection is not to be underestimated. Connecting women is what I really love the most and my business gives me this in every size, shape and form. I’m a giver. It seems this is in-built in me. I have made it part of my business. When you give, things always come back to you. This is true in business and in life. I’m a great believer in this concept. Try it!
- I AM ALWAYS LEARNING: I’ve been around the block a bit. I love that I can help women with their businesses. I’ve learnt so many new skills. From figuring out how to navigate a wordpress website, to being quite jiggy on mailchimp, designing in canva, hosting over 100 events and my own conference, connecting women via Facebook groups which ultimately is what I have built my business from. Crazy isn’t it?! I didn’t know this stuff five years ago. I’ve learnt the art of patience. I’ve learnt to always keep my integrity intact. I’ve learnt that you can’t please everybody. I’ve learnt that there is always going to be somebody who will judge you. I’ve learnt that I’m actually pretty good at coaching women. I never imagined I would be doing this. I love doing this so much, that I simply had to find a way to bring it into my business which is why I launched the Mastermind courses last year. I am constantly learning new things about myself and my business. I’m quite open to trying whatever my business throws at me and I’ve learnt to do this with grace and gratitude.
What an incredible journey I’ve had! Owning a business certainly comes with its challenges but there are some amazing benefits too. I must admit, I never thought I would get this far. I did. I am proud of myself. What are FIVE things you love about your business?